The C1860 Walnut Street Pony Bridge
The C1860 Walnut Street Pony Bridge restoration was completed by the Society in 2000. This bridge formerly spanned Saucon Creek and was traveled by horses, buggies, pedestrians, tractors, and finally cars. Originally designed and patented by Francis J. Lowthorp in 1856, it was fabricated by the Beckel Foundry and Machine Shop of Bethlehem, PA. It was moved aside in the 1970’s to allow for a new structure safe for school buses.
In 1994, with help from Lehigh University graduate students, HHS dismantled and reassemble it over the mill race. It survives as an example of a cast iron high truss bridge and is the only one of its kind believed to still exist in America. To learn more about this historic bridge, go to www.HistoricBridges.org by clicking here.